136th Year of the Congregation’s Foundation September 24, 2021

Our Beginnings...

136th Year of the Congregation’s Foundation

  • In 1884 (Nov. 11) Father Andreas Amrhein established a Mission House (MH) in Reichenbach

  • In 1885 (Sep. 24) The first four women entered as candidates to the Mission House (MH),
    Sr. Katharina Scheyns became the first Superior of the Women's Community (1885 - 1895)

( For this reason, September 24 is celebrated at the Congregation's Foundation Day.)

  • In 1887 the  community transferred from Reichenbach to Emming, Diocese of Augsburg. Later, the name St. Ottilien was used in honor of the little chapel there dedicated to St. Otilia.

  • In 1904 (Jul. 29), after the Sisters had received civil recognition by the Royal Government of Bavaria, they moved from St. Ottilien into a new motherhouse in Tutzing.

Reichenbach 1899

St. Ottilien 1891

St. Ottilien 1891

St. Katharina 1901-1904 (in St. Ottilien)

Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing

Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing

Today, Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing have become an international congregation living according to the Rule and spirit of St. Benedict and the missionary ideal of Fr. Andreas Amrhein.

4 Continents, 15 Countries, 12 Priories, 128 Stations, more than 1,200 sisters are proclaiming the Gospel by "praying and working" coordinated by the Generalate in Rome.

In spite of all difficulties, Fr. Andreas Amrhein humbly consecrated himself and made himself available to be used as an instrument of God, so that we today can give witness of God as 'Missionary Benedictines' in the Church. 

We express our deepest love and respect to Fr. Andreas Amrhein.

That in all things God may be Glorified!

Post a Comment